Friday night. Date night. Although a long distance date doesn’t include a nice car ride or holding hands at dinner, it doesn’t mean you can’t have a date.
You can have a virtual date!
1) The Time. Set up a scheduled time. Stick it to show your commitment and how much you value your time together. Let your friends know the date and time too, to minimize interruptions and distractions from others.
2) The Outfit. Don’t just wear sweatpants and an old t-shirt. Dress up a little. You don’t have to bring out the New Year’s Eve dress or the vest and tie. But try to pretend that this virtual date is the same as any other date.
3) The Food. Order the same kind of food (pizza, Chinese, Mexican, Italian) don’t stress if you don’t have the same restaurant chain around you both, as long as it’s in the same type of food it’ll help you guys feel like you’re together.
4) The Topics. Don’t just talk about your days and what you did and what you saw. Talk about past trips or memories. I recommend avoiding talking about the weather. Talk about your goals, short term and long term. Talk about your dreams and hopes.
5) The Activity. There are various activity sites you can visit after eating. Find an activity for you both to do. Sitting there looking at each other can become slightly depressing, so play a game! This blog post has several ideas of activities and games on the web: http://www.lovingfromadistance.com/thingstodo9.html
6) Have fun!